Sunday, February 11, 2018

Ham log #4 - Antenna fun with the Baofeng

After playing around with my portable Baofeng a bit, I then linked up with some wonderful local mentor hams (often known as Elmers) that helped me learn more about what I could do with my little radio.  They recommended a new antenna (called a VHF/UHF magmount) that I could use either with a METAL cookie sheet or attached to the roof of my car to extend the reach of my little radio.   There are adapters that can make the "large" antenna connector fit the Baofeng's tiny antenna port available from Amazon.  The adapter is called a SMA Female to UHF SO-239.  You can get one here:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00COKNKS8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I then connected my Baofeng to the magnetically attached UHF/VHF antenna and set it magnetically attach to the roof of my vehicle.  The antenna (Luiton 27 Inch UHF(400~470MHz) Whip Base-load) greatly increases my range.  I will say that connecting and disconnecting this adapter is hard on the radio, and probably not the best long-term plan, but it works!
You can get one here:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQT044S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also joined a couple of directed communications "nets" as a visitor (it's good to practice communications and test your radio BEFORE an emergency arises).  Nets are formal or informal times when groups of hams get together to check in with each other over the radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ham Log #8 - Ham Licenses

 So you want to become a Ham?  Congratulations!  You will find many kindred helpful souls online (called Elmers) that will be thrilled to he...