Sunday, February 11, 2018

Ham log #5 - I passed my General! Time to Radio hunt

Ki7QFV - Radio Hunting and Exams

I passed my general license test on January 28, 2018, in part thanks to an amazing class put on by W7DAO  at my local Red Cross office.  Taking the class was a fantastic boost to my confidence in taking the test, but it also backfilled a lot of missing math and basic electronics information I need to be a successful ham.  If you get a chance, I highly recommend taking a general class.  And you'll meet some great ham contacts!

As a result of passing, I now had to decide which radio I wanted, for what purpose, and in what form.  My little Baofeng was serving me well, but I needed an upgrade so I could do HF traffic.  Several wise Elmers warned me to avoid the all-in-one radios - if the radio promises to do everything, it won't be good at anything.  So for HF traffic, I went with a computer friendly Yeasu FT 891.  It's small enough to be mobile when I need it, strong enough to reach out and touch someplace far away, and smart enough to control with my laptop.  The big drawback is that it isn't a VHF/UHF radio, so I'd still need a second radio for those functions.



I bought the Yeasu online via Ebay, and it's also coming with something called a 63 foot end-fed antenna that says it doesn't require tuning (because of harmonics).  The real question will be if it works - but if it does, it's a very inexpensive solution compared to the other Yeasu antenna options, and one that could potentially be mobile, especially on RV camping trips in the woods.

For the UHF/VHF function in my vehicle, I've purchased a Kenwood TM-V71A.  It looks to be a powerful little mobile radio that can handle basic radio traffic with ease.  It can do 50 watts when needed, but can be throttled back to 5 watts when I want to play with low power testing.  I expect this to be a solid daily-use radio that should hold up well.  I'll use the mag-mount antenna for now, but I hope to install something more permanent later.


1 comment:

Ham Log #8 - Ham Licenses

 So you want to become a Ham?  Congratulations!  You will find many kindred helpful souls online (called Elmers) that will be thrilled to he...