Thursday, February 15, 2018

Ham log #6 - DC Power

Ki7QFV - DC Power and Anderson Powerpole connectors

So I got my deep cell battery (sealed, 35AH, 12v) to power my new radios.  My first attempt to connect my radio to power was a mess - clamps and wire nut twisted wires!  Yikes! 

So I asked a couple of Elmers for guidance and they suggested Anderson Powerpole connectors.  These little red and black adapters are amazing - they clip together in almost any configuration, and give you quick-connect access for anything you need.  To use them you need both the plastic housing, and the metal flange/lead.  The wire crimps into the flange, and the flange is inserted into the plastic housing.  The yellow adapters are just to attach the other end of the Anderson Powerpole to the battery terminal.   There's a great youtube video for assembling your powerpoles here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUPWKxPGRGI




My biggest challenge was crimping them tight enough - so I bought a crimp tool.  I don't have the hand strength to crimp with pliers.  The other challenge was in orienting the curved tip properly.  It helped to connect the black and red ends with the "A" facing up.  And then it was fairly easy to keep everything aligned.



Once the pieces were assembled, they created a neat set of quick-disconnect adapters I could use interchangeably.  Technically the clamps + anderson power poles would let me attach to any battery (not just my own) and attach any of my gear.  The other adapter was a cigarette lighter I could use to run my laptop's DC power plug.




My battery then needed some work - so I added a simple power bus to the battery terminals, and then ran the Anderson Powerpole off the bus.  The bus is attached with heavy-duty velcro to the top of the battery.  I can also use the more substantial spade connectors as needed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ham Log #8 - Ham Licenses

 So you want to become a Ham?  Congratulations!  You will find many kindred helpful souls online (called Elmers) that will be thrilled to he...